Over time, teeth begin to weaken. This leaves them more susceptible to problems such as decay, cracks or discoloration. A dental crown can renew the appearance and function of a tooth.
Dental crowns can:
1. Protect a weak tooth from breaking
2. Hold a cracked tooth together
3. Cover and support a damaged or decayed tooth
4. Cover a severely discolored tooth
5. Restore a broken or severely worn tooth
Also, dental crowns are often used in conjunction with root canal therapy, dental implants or as an anchor for a bridge.
Crowns are typically made from porcelain to provide both strength and a natural appearance. Once treatment is complete, continue routine brushing and flossing. Keep regular office visits to help your crown last many years.