Silver Diamine Fluoride (SDF) is an FDA-approved topical solution that prevents and treats dental caries. This product contains two active ingredients: silver, which kills bacteria and prevents the formation of new biofilms; and fluoride, which prevents further demineralization (softening) of the tooth structure.
Using Silver Diamine Fluoride to treat tooth decay is simple and noninvasive, and it can be done right here in our pediatric dental office.
Silver Diamine Fluoride can be used in several situations, including:
- Children with extreme decay
- Children who have difficulty sitting still for treatment
- Patients with special needs
- Children with tooth decay who require multiple visits
Among the advantages of silver diamine fluoride are:
- Relieves tooth hypersensitivity.
- It kills the bacteria that cause cavities.
- Hardens softened dentin, making it acid-and abrasion-resistant.
- It does not stain healthy dentin or enamel.